Facts about Xylitol. Xylitol creates a perfect pH balance in the mouth to stimulate a healing process that can naturally repair your teeth. When Xylitol is eaten it not only brings minerals by salivary stimulation but creates an alkaline environment in which these minerals can help heal soft or damaged areas on teeth and help to rebuild and strengthen them.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stevia vs. Xylitol

Hi Dr. Ellie,

I find that I am sensitive to Xylitol in that it can cause me diarrhea sometimes. What do you think of gum sweetened with stevia?

Thanks and regards,

S

Hi S:

Thanks for your message, and I appreciate your concern.

When people tell me they are sensitive to xylitol, my first question would be, "what kind of xylitol are you using?" I do not believe all xylitol is created exactly equal.

The effects of xylitol are good, no matter how it is consumed. This means you can eat Zellies mints, chewing gum, or granular xylitol and have benefits. On the other hand, I have discovered people who were sensitive to one BRAND of xylitol, but not Zellies.

Other people who appear sensitive to xylitol, are often nervous of xylitol.
Don't be afraid of xylitol -- Native Americans believed that birch trees were God's gift to man!

Xylitol appears to have many general health benefits and the amount necessary for oral health is tiny -- 1 teaspoon a day! It is extremely rare to find sensitivity at such a low amount -- even in small children.

I would look closely at the type of xylitol you are eating, and ensure that it is not a mix of sorbitol with xylitol. Sorbitol has sensitivity effects for many people at extremely low doses.

Truly, if you are eating Zellies gum and finding it upsets your stomach, my recommendation would be to start more slowly. Take a month to go from two pieces of gum a day to five pieces a day.

Make a plan -- week by week on your calendar -- add it slowly into your diet.
Xylitol behaves like fiber; and if you are not used to fiber, things will be different.

Stevia is popular in health food stores. I really do not have a reason to support Stevia, one way or the other. As far as I am aware it has no dental benefits, and although it may be sugarless, I think it may have a high G. I . ( glycemic index) -- which makes it a less healthy . Don't quote me on this -- I'm not a Stevia expert!

Thanks again for your message,
For oral health, I continue to suggest a little xylitol regularly, frequently, and in addition to my complete mouth care system!

Best wishes,
Ellie

www.zellies.com
26 Corporate Woods
Rochester, NY 14623

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks!